To start I want to say:
- I am not in Alpha.
- I took my images from WoW Head, MMO, and Blizz Sites
- There are many unknown variables with the stat changes in WoD, artistic license was taken.
- They made a few changes since i did my math and I updated them. Charts are updated and red writing is the new stuff. 4/16/17 Alpha Build 18156.
Now that I have said that, lets talk about Holy Paladin numbers in WoD. Once we get numbers we can start talking about spell choices, rotations, and talent choices. To get that party started, I needed the list of the new spell stats so I looked up the data-mined info from the Alpha version of WoD (here) to get an idea of what our healing spells are going to look like. I was able to find the spell power coefficients for each of our spells (no more base healing value) but without knowing how much spell power we were going to have, it was useless info.
So I looked up a 64o-ish iLvL set in the game files and added up all the stats. From there I had to guess the scaling of SP and Int in WoD and throw some buffs on top. I have an educated guess on what our SP will be (1 int = 1 SP with 5% int buff from plate and Stat buff plus a 10% SP buff) but it ain’t exact. In terms of haste, crit, mastery, and the new secondaries I have total values, but no % totals. I have no idea how much 60 mastery will be in WoD. Could be 1%, could be 0.5%. Thus I just gave us low values of haste/mastery/crit that are largely from raid/self buffs (10% crit, 15% mastery, 15% haste) and have a spell power value of 3584.
Lastly I wanted to get an idea of how big our health pools were going to be, because healing values have little context without an idea of how much of a players life they heal. I was able to get a Stamina total, but I don’t know the scaling. On live we have base health then our health increases by 14 points per stamina (minus the first bit of stamina). In the WoD blog they said they are roughly doubling it. So I double the scaling of the Stamina value we will have at 640 ilvl. I have us (non-tank) at about 85k health.
With that, I could build up a table to see what our heals will look like in WoD:
For comparison I added a chart for our current heals at 574 ilvl:
Current Healing Numbers – 574ilvl with 750k buffed health.
Few things stand out to me. The first is I would expect our raw heals to actually be much less than they are projecting in WoD. Could be that my health values are off but with the healing shift of 2x the health 1.5x the heals I would expect a bigger gap. But we also don’t know how health pools will change as we go up in gear, certainly the 2x the stamina scaling may achieve what they are looking to do as we gear up. The other things that stand out are:
Eternal Flame heals for crap now. They nerfed this to the ground. More about the suck that is EF later.
- EF is better than it was. More of a choice between LoD and EF, but other talents are stronger. Move in the right direction. Still think EF should be standard with Holy, makes LoD and EF a per cast decision rather than always LoD unless you spec EF.
- Holy Radiance is nearly as strong as our HP finishers.
- The new holy light is pretty strong, cheap weak heal truly is gone.
So the next step is to take a look at the possible rotations:
My biggest take away here is our Holy Power generation looks to be highly reliant on holy shock and tower of radiance. When we use Holy Radiance our output can double, but they have said they want to make it mana impossible to sustain. Certainly something that is going to have to be balanced, in current state the output change by adding HR is ridiculous. Other things that stand out:
- Using Tower of Radiance for more HP generation (at expense of less beacon heals) is a small HPS gain. 18+sec per 3HP without Beacon. 7-9sec using beacon. HR use can be 5-6sec per 3 HP.
- The fact that our Holy Power Finishers are so similar to our other heals means the above only has small effects on our HPS. Not a good thing IMO. I don’t want WoG/EF/LoD to feel like a free, CASTED, same strength version of holy light/holy radiance. Want it to be powerful and instant!
- Eternal flame is
terrible mediocre, WoG even more so, LoD is king since EF is not the winning spec and WoG is so far below LoD. However our lvl 100 talents will change this.
- Sacred shield is better than EF, on par with Selfless healer without HR in the rotation.
- Selfless healer is more mana per second used in order to use the 30% more healing to Flash of Light buff. Using HR in the rotation increases mana expense by 20% but about 50% more healing.
Lastly lets look at the level 100 talents:
Twice the Beacon, not twice the heals.
Argent Defender Beacon
The Mending Beacon
So we have a double beacon, a 30% buff to healing a moving beacon target beacon, and a shielding the beacon target beacon.
To calculate the double beacon I just doubled the beacon healing to the rotations. This is probably the most accurate estimation because I have rotation where you heal the beacon target listed. Not likely to see large variations in healing output with this talent. The table:
Beacon of Faith
To calculate the beacon that buffs single target heal by 30% but moves around when they are healed or topped off I buffed all the single target heals by 30%. This assumes you are going to chase the buff (picks the lowest health player) and can hit the player with a heal before they are topped off and the beacon changes targets. This is basically a chart of the maximum amount of gain you can expect to get from the talent. Highly unlikely we will get anywhere close to this much of a buff from it. The table:
Beacon of Insight
Shielding Beacon is sad. Can proc once a minute (twice if it procs on you and on tank) and shields 30% health. So at 1 proc per minute with no over heal on the shield you are going to gain 425 HPS…. Going to take a very unique encounter to make this talent worth it, I see this as a PvP only talent as it stands now. The “table” (white box is healing, red box HPS):
The Beacon of PvP
My thoughts on the lvl 100 talents thus far:
- Beacon of Insight and Faith are pretty close in HPS, small boost to the double beacon. Unfortunately the mending beacon will likely be much worse.
- PvP beacon is PvP beacon.
- lvl 100 talents are a fair buff to our heals, 20-30% buff and changes our game play a bit but as is, double beacon is the clear winner. More balance work needed to make it an interesting choice.
- Beacon of Faith with EF is pretty strong. EF has always been great at streaming heals to the beacon target and if tank healing becomes a thing it makes EF/SS/SH a more interesting choice with Beacon of Faith, but EF is fairly dead with the other lvl 100 talents.
I want to say my charts and numbers are a good starting place, but since I am piecing this together it is entirely possible that my numbers are way off, and when put into play I am picturing it all wrong (healing in WoD with a MoP Mindset). But now is the time the game gets balanced and arguably the best time to provide feedback, feedback based more on numbers than on feelings (but fun is a feeling worth feedbacking!).